Monday, August 4, 2008

More innocents die over the weekend

In Pakistan 6 police officers and 3 paramilitaries are killed by Islamists using a remote controlled bomb.

In Afghanistan 13 people on a wedding bus were killed including the bride and groom by Islamic militants using a roadside bomb.

In Somalia 20 civilians are killed, mostly women street sweepers by a bomb.

These are just 3 attacks that happened over the weekend. All told there were 9 attacks in 8 different countries, resulting in more deaths and many more injured. Each injury and death brings grief and hardship to many family and friends.

Those of us who are American citizens stand solidly with the president of our nation. The terrible forces of evil must be confronted and held accountable for their actions. This is not a matter of Christian against Muslim. I am pleased that food is being dropped to the hungry people of a targeted nation. We value our Muslim neighbors across the world and hope that those who live by the tenets of their faith will not suffer. I ask particularly that our own people do not become a party in any way to the persecution of the innocent. Rather, let us be friendly and helpful, protective and supportive. It is the terrorist organizations that must be ferreted out and brought down.

We of this Church know something of such groups. The Book of Mormon speaks of the Gadianton robbers, a vicious, oath-bound, and secret organization bent on evil and destruction. In their day they did all in their power, by whatever means available, to bring down the Church, to woo the people with sophistry, and to take control of the society. We see the same thing in the present situation.

We are people of peace. We are followers of the Christ who was and is the Prince of Peace. But there are times when we must stand up for right and decency, for freedom and civilization, just as Moroni rallied his people in his day to the defense of their wives, their children, and the cause of liberty.
President Gordon B Hinckley, October 2001 General Conference

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey Dan,
So Rachel Left a comment on Lelie's Blog saying I had left a comment on your blog and that is how she found us... I can't seem to locate my comment on your blog... so here is a new original comment anyway.

I had added a link to one of your blogs from mine. So, between that and having visited your blogs and the "Live traffic visitor feed" you have tracking people as they come onto your blog, I'm sure discovering us in our blogspace wasn't avoidable.

I mostly blog about nonsense so as to stay under the radar of sounding too opinionated or ranting about things which would inevitably cost me employment if those sorts of posts were ever discovered... sure I could go private but then the fun of it dissappears for me as well. At least you have some substantial content and a worthwhile subject matter that you blog about (even though my wife says that all men who blog write blah blah blah... I blame the wives for that because they write about all the interesting family goings on before we can so we are left to ramble and mumble about whatever else interests us but most likely not anyone else except maybe the other males of the earth)

Anyway, my adice is to keep up the good work and stay off ATV's... oops ... darn that Jarman in me...

Dan the Man said...

LOL. Yep I 'discovered' you via the tracker on my blog. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

I briefly visited your blog and skimmed several random posts. I am at work so I will try to head back there shortly and get a better feel of it.

Always fun to run across people I know in the blogosphere, even better if they are related to me.

Everything I blog about it stuff I already talk a lot about and I am pretty vocal about it. It was inevitable that I would want more people to hear/read what I have to say/write.

It is true though that our wives already talk about the family and the kiddos - so we have to have our own manly domain.

Sarah said...

Well, looks like Jeremy already took up most of the comment space here, so I'll just say hello! Pretty cool to find that more of the family keeps a blog though, huh?

Not enough room to say anything else...Thanks alot, Jeremy!