Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Good News for Mesa, AZ! (or is it?)

I just read another article in the Arizona Republic. It is titled "Latino neighborhood slowly disappearing in central Mesa"

The article states that due to new employers laws and crack downs on illegal immigration that the neighborhood I live in is have a lot of vacancies in homes and apartments and that businesses near the neighborhood that cater to Latinos are experience a significant drop in business. Well this looks like all good news to me. This looks like the sanctions laws and Sheriff Arpiao's round ups are working.

But for the poor poor people at the Arizona Republic this is extremely bad news. Everything that I would take as great news was doom and gloom for them.

For example:

"The Reed Park area, already known for its high crime rate, now must contend with a growing number of abandoned residences, which often leads to more crime."

Did it occur to them that the high crime rate might possibly, partially be caused by some of the illegals? After all they got here by breaking our laws?

Sorry that people who cater to the illegals are now facing hard knocks. That to me is like feeling sorry for the johns because all the prostitutes have been removed from the streets.

Your thoughts? Even if you don't live in Arizona do you think illegal immigration affects you?

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Yep, illegals in my area affect me! As far as I'm concerned, I won't shed one single tear if every Filibertos, seedy laundromat, pawn shop, and Checks cashed store near me board up their doors and windows.

It would actually be nice to be able to walk into a 7-11 w/o being leered at by 13 illegals standing outside. Or drive down broadway in my truck w/o 5 or 6 practially jumping in front of me to flag me down for work.

Dan the Man said...

I have to say I agree with Rhonda and Becky on this one.

I wanted to point out that I have nothing against Latinos as I spent 2 years in South America. They are very dear to me. I disagree with some of the methods used in rounding them up and it is a sorry situation for those here legally that they have to deal with the situation because so many choose to enter illegally.

Also I found it diagreeable, like usual, the way the Republic article used the word Latino in the title and through out the article, lumping legal citizens with illegal aliens. Obviously the legal citizens wouldn't be abandoning their homes in my neighborhood - they worked too hard to obtain it the right way. Employer Sanctions wouldn't apply to them either. Just another way for the media to push their agenda and play the victim card mixing true victims with those that are victims of their own mistakes.